Monday, June 14, 2010

No thank you!!!

I recently received a call of a suspicious vehicle at an apartment complex. The suspicious vehicle call is something that we respond to often and it can almost seem routine. The truth is that the suspicious person/vehicle call and the traffic stop are among the most dangerous things that we do. This is the case because there is so much unknown about who we are making contact with.

As I scanned the notes on my MDT (the laptops you see in cop cars), I read that the car had a punched ignition and was likely stolen. As I pulled into the apartment complex and positioned myself behind the vehicle in question, I observed a lone male occupant with his leg hanging out of the car. When he saw me, I got the oh shit look and he bolted. What followed was a four block foot chase that eventually proceeded into the woods and back and forth across a creek. The subject was apprehend quickly with the help of a K-9 friend or to the laymen a K-9 Officer and dog. The car was indeed stolen out of a neighboring state.

As I transported the suspect to the jail, the suspect apologized to me for making me chase him. I laughed and said, "No thank you, I enjoy chasing down people." The guy seemed dumbfounded and said that a cop had never said anything like that to him. I was not surprised that he made that comment because we all try to remain professional at all times. Truth be known we all like to get out of the car and play cops and robbers!

2 comments: